After buying an Android phone, I started getting the error “The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again” every few seconds. This seemed to happen when moving between different custom ROMs like Cyanogenmod and MIUI, perhaps because I restored the wrong Titanium backup files mistakenly, included system settings in the batch restore or something similar.
Getting a force close message like this can be irritating, especially when it comes up repeatedly, every few seconds. I tried the usual route of formatting the phone and reinstalling the ROM, then restoring all my apps with Titanium Backup. With the new ROM in place, there was no error flashing, but when I restored apps, the error started appearing again, that was how I came to the assumption that something I do after reinstalling the ROM is causing the error message.
Below are some possible fixes (first one worked for me), but different fixes may work for different cases.
Fixes for “com.android.process.media has quit”
- Go to your app settings page (Settings > Applications > Manage Applications) and open Media Storage. Hit clear data.
- If you have a custom recovery installed (most custom ROMs and kernels do have it), boot into it and fix permissions. In Clockworkmod Recovery, you can find it under “Advanced”.
- In Manage Applications, open Google Services Framework. Clear data.
- Clear data for Market.
- Backup your data and format SD card. This is because android.process.media is related to camera, gallery etc., and SD card errors may cause this force close error.
- Try a different SD card. Many SD cards, particularly those of class 6, 8 and 10, have been reported to not work reliably with Android devices. Class 4 seems to be the safest option (I use a San Disk Class 4, and it has been flawless).
Hopefully, these should fix the error. Let me know in comments if it does not, or you have a different solution to the force close error.ADVERTISEMENT